Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Weekend in Antigua & Toy Story 3!

Hello all,
Steph and I went to Antigua on Saturday with the other students, which was really fun! Antigua is definitely more touristy and less authentic than the city, but it was nice. We met the other students at CASAS at 7:30, then took the bus to the Roosevelt hospital (which is where Steph and I will be volunteering beginning next week), and then took the bus to Antigua. It was about an hour ride and cost 10 quetzales, which is like $1.50. There were probably 13 of us, so we split into 3 groups when we were there. We mostly just walked around a shopped.. my feet were sore by the end of the day. I got a bag to take to class, a nice scarf, a couple earrings, and some whole bean coffee, which I hear is some of the best in the world :) I was MOST excited about this awesome latte that I got at a coffee shop. It was probably the best I´ve ever had. I haven´t had a decent cup of coffee since I´ve been here, which I have definitely been missing. The coffee that is at CASAS is super weak, and so was the coffee I bought at a restaurant across the street. It´s kind of ironic though, since Starbucks buys so much of its coffee from Guatemala... We also had lunch at this nice restaurant.. it was on a more secluded street, and was kind of tucked away. There was a nice garden with cool plants and a path going through it, and the tables were kind of all around the outside. After walking through the garden there were shops in the back also. It was reasonably priced for how nice it looked.
The other students are all really cool. They´re leaving on Thursday for a week of free travel, and then they´re back for like 2 weeks before going on various service assignments outside the city. So then Steph and I will be the only students at CASAS I think. The people at CASAS told us to speak Spanish with them, but everyone is at different levels, so it is hard. You can´t really get to know someone else using broken Spanish. It´s been nice talking to them and hearing their stories and perspective from being here 3 weeks longer than us.
On Sunday we went to see Toy Story 3, in 3D and in Spanish. We saw it at the Miraflores mall. The show we wanted was sold out, so we waited an hour in line, and then had to wait 2 1\2 more hours before the show started.. so we walked around the mall a bit. It was a little overwhelming to be around that much Spanish for several hours, but it was fun. I didn´t understand many of the words in the movie, but watching it helped to know what was going on.
I also talked to my mom this morning. We can make phonecalls from CASAS for 2 quetzales per minute. She is at Emily´s, helping her with the new baby. It was good to talk to her and hear what is going on at home.

Thanks for reading.. have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment